Thursday, July 30, 2009

Irrational Exuberance

I want to buy a Mustang.
What the hell is wrong with me?
For the past week or so I have become obsessed with the idea of owning a Mustang. Nevermind the fact that I already have a perfectly wonderful fun-to-drive car. Or that I would have no place to park it (what with the other half-dozen vehicles that I/my wife/my son already own). Oh, and let's not forget this tiny little detail . . . I'm broke.
But apparently none of that matters.
I want to buy a Mustang.
What the hell is wrong with me?
I've already been to the Ford website and spec'd it out.
Oh, yeah. I have.
A 2010 Ford Mustang GT, Kona Blue Metallic, charcoal cloth interior, 4.6L V-8 with 5-speed auto. Nothing fancy. I don't need a convertible . . . I already drive one. I don't need a manual tranny . . . ditto. I know the V-8 is a bit of an extravagance but I'm lucky enough to live close to work so fuel mileage isn't really a factor. And there's nothing like the sound of an American small block with duallies to get the juices flowing. The only car I ever owned that came close was my very first one: a 1965 Dodge Polara with a 383 and a four-barrel. Pretty damn fast. Perfect for a 16 year old with a newly minted license. But it was an "old man's car". I know this because I bought it from an old man. So I sold it. And bought a Volkswagen Beetle.
You're right. Dumbass.
And it's true that I genuinely love my Mazda Miata. Driving it is the most fun you can have in a car that doesn't involve nudity. On a gorgeous day, cruising the backroads with the top down, the sun warm on your face, the wind in your hair. There's nothing like it.
It's just that sometimes, sometimes . . . I wish for a little more room. Miatas are so tiny you half- expect circus clowns to pop out when you open the door. And a little more power. And a little more quiet. You know, so I can actually hear the stereo. And not having to clutch and shift when stuck in rush hour traffic? That's pretty nice, too. Plus, Miatas are low. How low? "So low that speed bumps block out the sun" low. Not to mention the fact that the only way I can get into the car is to turn sideways and fall back on my ass into the seat.
That's hot, right?
See, this is where the whole slippery slope of rationalization begins. After all, I've been driving my Miata for over seven years now. My last car I drove for eleven years. So it's not like I treat myself to a new ride very often. Wouldn't it be nice if I could "retire" my Miata to "beautiful-weather-and-weekend" duty? Parked beside my motorcycle in the garage, they would officially be proclaimed "Paul's Toys". The Mustang? Well, I need something to drive to work, don't I?
The truth is, I've always been a Ford guy and the Mustang was always my favorite (right after the '71 Gran Torino, just like Clint Eastwood drove). I thought for sure I would own one sometime in my life. And the 2010 is probably the best Mustang ever built (after the '69 GT, just like Steve McQueen drove). Ford tweaked the styling a bit for this year and upgraded the interior so it's a very sweet ride. And not too pricey, though I could save myself 5 large by opting for the V-6. But, hey . . . go big or go home.
I know what you're thinking.
Before the weekend is out, he's going to pull the trigger. Believe me when I tell you that nobody would like to see that happen more than me. But it ain't gonna happen. I simply can't afford it.
But I can dream, can't I?
I want to buy a Mustang.
What the hell is wrong with me?
Mmmmm. I wonder how late Beach Ford is open tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment